I've got this train set out of the box and on my tracks.
The locomotive is ...
The ore cars have different numbers as with those from sets #9 & #11. I've left the truck mounted horn-hook couplers on all the cars. They often make up a nice train of fifteen ore cars, pulled by the SD-35 Diesel from set #1.
The cars are all in their original condition, with truck mounted horn-hook couplers. As is the caboose.
This set comes with brass track, an oval. I'll sell you the track for a good price.
This train set sold in the Loblaws chain of grocery stores for $?CAD, from 1997 November till they were out of stock.
|Ragnar's HO Model Trains Weeb Site|
|President's Choice Train Set #5|
Text on the box:
This collector's quality HO scale train set celebrates the end of an era: the C.N. #6043 engine made its last schedualed steam-powered run in commercial service on April 25, 1960, from The Pas to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
A veritable workhouse in its 33 years of service, the 4-8-2 Mountain type locomotive was an improvement on its predecessor, the 4-6-2 Pacific steam engine. Ten U-1-d locomotives in total were built for Canadian National Railways to serve the Western region.
THis mighty hauler was espesially designed and propotioned for heavy service, accommodating both freight and passenger loads over mountainous regions before and during the transitional period between steam and diesel power.
Modeled after the original reliable powerhouse, our faithful reproduction of this vintage engine is intricately detailed and accurately appointed. Equipped with authentically styled ore cars and a uniquely designed caboose, the set is available as a limited edition only, to enhance it's collection value
COmpatible with all HO scale model electric train sets with standard tracks, including our entire PC Collector's Series range, the PC 4-8-2 Mountain Express train set is a welcome addition to you collection, or the perfect gift for any train lover.
Canadian National Railways 4-8-2 Mountain-type steam locomovive, class U-1-d, Road Number 6043
- Engine weight: 22 ounces (624 g)
- Power pickup from tender car
- Quick-disconecting electrical plug and socket between engine and tender
- Operating locomotive headlight and automatic backup light on tender
- Heavy duty can motor
- Precision machined coated brass flywheel
- Helical matched gears
- Functional nickel-plated coined brass driving rods and valve gear
- Metal boiler hand railings
- Metal coupler lift bar on loco pilot deck and rear of tender car
- Metal hand rails on locomotive cab, tender ends and cistern roof
- Body mounted universal coupler draft box
- White wall wheels
- Authentically detailed, painted and lettered in railroad colours
- Will operate on 18 in (46cm) radius track layout
Compatible with all popular HO brands, including all President's Choice train sets. Authentic period-sized cars are to scale.
- Uniquely designed collector's quality 4-8-2 Mountain Class steam locomotive with functioning headlight
- Tender car with power pickup and operating back-up light
- 5 individually numbered ore cars
- 1 Drover's Caboose with specialty collector's graphics
- Quality brass track for oval layout
- Track layout instructions
- CSA-approved power pack with conecting wires
- Assembly and operation instructions
- Limited warranty
Oval track layout Includes:
- 1 curved terminal brass rerailer
- 11 sections of 30' curved brass track with rail joiners
- 12 strait sections of 9in (22.8cm) brass track with rail joiners
- 10 extra brass rail joiners
- 26 track snap locks
- Spare couplers and track snap locks, conecting wires
End of text on the box:
In the box:
President's Choice® Train Set # 5 Manufacturer: IHC of Slovenia locomotive: 4-8-2 U-1-d Mountain Steam Engine & Tender CN 6043 Heraldry: Black Rolling Stock: Ore car CN 172902 Heraldry: CN Red
Ore car CN 172909 Heraldry: CN Red
Ore car CN 172918 Heraldry: CN Red
Ore car CN 172925 Heraldry: CN Red
Ore car CN 172976 Heraldry: CN Red
Caboose: President's Choice Insider's Report Heraldry: Red Track: HO Code 100 Brass Track
12-9" strait & 12-18" radius curved, one with re-railler & power conections, also rail joiners and track snap locks
| © Ragnar Torfason|
2006 November 29